Assistant Growers (AG) are responsible for planting, growing, maintaining, and nurturing high quality plants. The AG will also be responsible for timely and accurate picking of customer orders with quality product. AGs will also be assigned to assist Assistant Operations Managers in coordinating all activities to receive plants and plant materials and the shipping of crop product to customers, other sites, or the distribution center. General duties also include greenhouse maintenance and upkeep.
Responsibilities and Duties
1. Grow greenhouse crops to meet company quality standards. Follow established grow plans and help create best practices for crop sciences. Plan daily irrigation decisions based on workload, crop, and environmental requirements.
2. Integrated Pest Management. AG will scout crops and perform chemical applications to crops that include fungicides, insecticides, herbicides, and disinfectants. AG will maintain IPM records in accordance with state and federal laws.
3. Crop Production. Plant crops in designated areas according to greenhouse processes and OM directions regarding proper depth, appropriate containers, and with complete trays. Accurately label crops. Pinch and space plants as directed by the OM or AOM.
4. Pull customer orders accurately and quickly with quality product and according to individual customer quality standards. Notify OM of any crop quality or quantity issues in a timely manner.
5. Check in incoming shipments from vendors or other Clesen locations ensuring product and paperwork are identical. Escalate any inaccuracies.
6. Monitor quality of incoming or outgoing product alerting OM or AOM of any concerns of product that does not meet Clesen quality standards. Complete Product Status walks and escalate any concerns to the OM.
7. Facility cleanliness to insure a clean and orderly work area which includes returning unused materials and tools to proper designated area, trash container, or recycling containers. Maintain orderly storage of carts and that all carts are in working order.
8. Operations maintenance of irrigation lines, build and breakdown carts/canopy, installing weed barrier, installing poly roofs on hoop houses, and other tasks as needed. Duties may also include painting, cleaning and emptying garbage, and making minor repairs.
9. Safe work environment. Follow all safety protocols, ensuring others follow safety protocols and resolve when appropriate. Alert Management of any safety concerns.
10. Assist other team members,Team Leaders, and Managers when requested, working at other company sites as needed, and supporting any ad hoc operational projects as requested.
· Dependable and reliable work record including reporting to work on time consistently and following directions accurately without reminding.
· Experience working in greenhouse or growing environment preferred.
· Knowledge of plants, growing, and crops is helpful.
· Demonstrate ability to work well in a team environment helping out others, creating a cohesive work unit, and contributing to a positive work atmosphere.
· High School education or equivalent experience preferred.
· Basic level of English language proficiency needed to understand directions, follow instructions, understand reports and procedures, and to escalate pertinent information to supervisor.
· Proven ability to follow directions consistently and retain information provided.
· Have ability to flex and work in multiple company locations.
Physical Requirements: Able to repetitively bend, stretch, reach, lift, stand, and walk with unrestricted motion. Able to remain on feet for majority of the day. Can lift 50 pounds or more and push and pull carts weighing up to 500 pounds.
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Position Type/Position Location/Expected Hours of Work:
Greenhouse location or distribution center
Must be flexible to work across various worksites
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $13.50 – $16.50 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- One location
- Waiting period may apply
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place