Natural Areas Park Maintenance 1
Natural Areas Park Maintenance 2
Location: Various locations in the Rockford Park District
Pay Grade: See below
Length of Season: March – October; may vary based upon weather (Seasonal, Non-Full Time Position)
For more information on duties and qualifications for each of these Positions, see below:
Natural Areas Park Maintenance 1 Position Description
Starting Wage: $10.00
Summary of Duties:
Include, but are not limited to the following
- Prairie, wetland, and woodland restoration
- Brush and invasive species control, including cutting, herbicide applications, mowing, and hand pulling
- Native and invasive plant identification
- Native grass and forb seed collection
- Installation of plugs, bare root stock, shrubs or saplings, and seed distribution
- Receives and completes daily work orders as directed.
- Performs maintenance duties to the buildings, grounds, and equipment according to required specifications for safety and appearance.
- Performs frequent routine safety checks on buildings, grounds, and equipment; files safety reports as required.
- Performs routine cleaning of building, floors, windows, restrooms, carpets, trash removal, grounds, sidewalks, and trash pick-up
- Maintains the park area by trimming trees, clearing brush and landscaping the property as required.
- Effectively and safely operates pole saw, table saws, band saws, drills, string trimmers, landscape blowers and other hand tools as required to get the job done.
- Ensures that all work performed is conducted in a safe and timely manner adhering to standards of cleanliness and effective equipment utilization.
- Assists with delivery of supplies to various buildings
- Provides quality customer service to all patrons, guests, and other District employees.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years old
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid Driver’s license
- Ability to follow direction from Maintenance Supervisor and Crew Lead
- Ability to problem solve in a variety of situations
- Ability to provide customers with expert care, sensitive consideration and efficient service.
- Good communication skills including expressive, written, and receptive.
- CPR and First Aid Certification (can be obtained through the Rockford Park District)
- Reliable transportation to and from work
Natural Areas Maintenance 2 Position Description
Starting wage: $12.00
Summary of Duties:
Same Duties as a Maintenance 1 position (see above), in addition but are not limited to the following
- Research, monitoring, and wildlife management projects as needed
- Performs repairs to equipment, machinery, and vehicles as needed
- Performs preventive maintenance to equipment as assigned.
- Effectively and safely operates Park District equipment including, dump trucks, vehicles, tractors and mowers as required.
- Responsible for the opening and closing of the building on a daily basis.
Same Qualifications as a Maintenance 1 position (see above), in addition to the following
- 2-3 years of maintenance experience, supervisory experience preferred
- Basic understanding of use/maintenance of landscape equipment (blower, trimmer, mower, tractor, etc.)
- Valid pesticide operator’s or applicators license or ability to obtain after employment
- S130/S190 Burn Certification
Physical Requirements for For Both Positions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Very Heavy work:
- Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally
- Exerting in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently
- Exerting in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects
- Climbing, Balancing, Stooping, Kneeling, Crouching, Crawling, Reaching, Standing, Walking, Pushing, Lifting, Grasping, Feeling, Talking, Repetitive motions Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Far, near, and mid-range vision
- Exposure to dirt
- Exposure to hazardous chemicals (training on working with said chemicals will be provided)
Significant environmental factors are applicable to this position.
The Rockford Park District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Rockford Park District maintains an Alcohol, Cannabis and Illegal Drug Free Workplace and a smoke – free environment