Prairie State Legal Services participates in New Leaf Illinois, a state-funded network of 20 non-profit organizations throughout the state that provides legal representation and other resources to help people expunge cannabis convictions from their records. Under the New Leaf Program, we are hiring two full time Outreach Workers to educate the community about the new legal remedies available for people impacted by prior cannabis-related criminal records, and the services available from Prairie State. New Leaf Outreach Workers will work in collaboration with our New Leaf Program Coordinator to create and implement an outreach plan using in-person presentations and social media. One outreach worker will be based in Waukegan and the other will be based in Bloomington or Peoria.
Among other duties as assigned, the Outreach Worker will:
- Create content for printed brochures and digital media and will provide community outreach across either the Northern or Southern portion of Prairie State’s service area, depending on which of the above offices the Outreach Worker is located.
- Identify and build relationships with community partners, including workforce development offices, job training centers, community colleges, community action agencies, churches, and other social service agencies.
- Identify locations and coordinate events or Prairie State’s participation in events such as at job fairs, health fairs, and social service fairs, where the Outreach Worker will staff tables or present legal information.
- Plan and schedule legal clinics, where Prairie State attorneys and volunteers will meet with clients to help them prepare legal documents or otherwise assist with the expungement process.
Salary and Benefits
The Outreach Worker position is a full-time position at 37.5 hours per week. PSLS offers a salary competitive with similar organizations. Our salary scale for this position starts at $29,250 per year for candidates who meet the minimum qualifications, and increases with each year of relevant experience. PSLS is committed to providing an excellent, comprehensive benefits package to its full-time employees that includes:
- Health insurance, including the opportunity to qualify for a wellness credit
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- 403b retirement plan including employer contributions
- Extensive training and education program
- PTO that starts at nearly 3 weeks/year and increases with additional years worked at PSLS
- Paid sick leave
- 6 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
- 12 paid holidays
· High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent education
· Commitment to improving access to legal aid for individuals looking to seal and expunge their criminal records, especially cannabis records, to improve access to employment and housing
· Excellent organizational and communication skills
· Comfort with public speaking, presenting to small to mid-sized groups, meeting new people and engaging with community organizations
· Experience as a volunteer or employee working on community projects, preferably involving diverse populations
· Proficient with computers and online tools
· Moderate travel across our service area is necessary; valid driver’s license and/or reliable transportation is required
· We will give preference to candidates who have experience providing services to low-income individuals
Please include a cover letter identifying your office preference and explaining your interest and experience, resume, and three references.
Resumes accepted until position is filled.
Prairie State Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive working environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, pay, and promote qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity, expression, or presentation, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or any other legally protected status.
Prairie State Legal Services is a not for profit civil legal aid organization that has served northern and central Illinois for more than 40 years, maintains 11 office locations, and has a staff of over 175 employees including training and litigation staff with extensive experience. Our 36 county service area includes rural communities, suburban areas, and mid-size urban cities which necessitates the development of diverse strategies and we encourage our staff to cultivate and utilize creative approaches to reach and serve our client population. Employees of PSLS benefit from the expertise and community connections of their local office staff along with robust program-wide resources. We strive to provide an array of services responsive to the needs of our clients and therefore have developed several specialized projects and maintain one of the most productive pro bono programs in the nation. PSLS has excellent fiscal controls and upholds the highest rating from Charity Navigator and Guidestar. For more information regarding PSLS services and operations, please visit our website at www.pslegal.org.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $15.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- Multiple locations