Verano™ Holdings (Chicago, IL) is a national, vertically-integrated operator of licensed cannabis cultivation, manufacturing and retail facilities dedicated to improving lives by providing safe access to effective organic cannabis products that enhance health and wellness and by positively impacting the communities it serves. Verano develops and produces a well-rounded suite of limited edition, fashion-forward cannabis products, which offer superior medicinal therapies and inspirational product options. It designs, builds and operates unique Zen Leaf™ branded dispensary environments that ensure an exceptional shopping experience with unparalleled customer service and satisfaction in both medical and adult-use markets. Verano distributes cannabis concentrates, edibles, extracts, flower, and topicals under its trusted premium brands: GoldLeaf™, Menta™, Sweet Sins™, Encore Company™, Avexia™, and verano™.
We are seeking a qualified Staff Accountant who will be responsible for all daily accounting tasks—including updating expense files, performing financial transactions, posting them in the general ledger, and carrying out relevant administrative duties such as responding to clients via email and handling invoices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain and update accounting records and files.
- Post transactions and categorize records in the general ledger (e.g., by assets, liabilities, and expenses).
- Reconcile bank statements.
- Conduct month-end and year-end closures.
- Prepare documents for audits.
- Apply new accounting policies and ensure compliance with rules and regulations.
- Report to the Accounting Manager and work to improve financial processes.
- Exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality in carrying out responsibilities.
- Analyze budgets and create expense reports.
- Examine tax policies and handle tax payments and returns.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or relevant major required.
- Microsoft Office, specifically in Microsoft Word and Excel, experience required.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have strong numeracy and analytical skills.
- Must have strong problem-solving and time management skills.
- Must be highly organized and detail oriented.
- Must be comfortable with a fast-paced environment and flexible to daily changes.
- Must have strong organizational and communication skills.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must be willing to undergo a background check.
- 2 year(s) of accounting or finance experience preferred.
- Financial/accounting software, specifically QuickBooks and/or Sage Intacct, experience preferred.
- Public accounting experience is a plus.
- General knowledge of financial analytics and dashboards is a plus.
- CPA designation is a plus.
Physical and Mental Demands:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position, move and/or position oneself, communicate, operate and/or prepare, place, position objects, tools, or controls. The employee must occasionally move packages weighing up to 10 lb. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close observation and the ability to adjust focus. The mental and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual, with or without reasonable accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
Work is performed in an office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual encounters while performing the essential functions of this position.
Verano Holdings is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We place priority in an environment of inclusion, diversity and social justice and are committed to securing a better, brighter way forward for our employees, our markets and our communities.
Job Type: Full-time
- accounting or finance: 2 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- Chicago, IL 60654 (Required)
- United States (Required)
- One location
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday
- Day shift
- 8 hour shift
- Waiting period may apply
- Temporarily due to COVID-19